ITALIAN SURNAME

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Re: ITALIAN SURNAME

Post by JoannL »

OK...something else I just found in my notes...on bits and pieces of paper.

1920 Census notes that I have...Joe malone lavorer on the railroad....Luke Malone a clerk at the Cartridge Company.

Joe Malone immagrated in 1902...Alien in 1930...Laborer at Steel Mill...Laclede Steel in Alton .

Vincent Malone living in household of Frank Romano, with wife Grace and there son joseph. Vincent bricklayer for glass company and was 22 years old.

Vincent ..born 1907??>..that is a guess on my part....Grace 1910 in Chicago...Vincent and Charlie are the same ...Vincent born in Louisiana...not sure where..
Vincent and Grace married in Alton...approx 1927/June.

Savine/Sabine Malone born in Italy...which was said on Forum..and I also had that on piece of paper...BUT..I have...moved from Italy to LOUISIANA.....but WHERE????
Savine died at 91 years old.
Also...says 1902 to present...Alton ILL.

Mary Malone and Jasper St. George married in ALTON...but I cant find anything from churches.
Marys sister Frances...married to a SAM somebody..he was in Mafia...she got scared and left him and ran away...to NEW YORK...and married someone else..have to go back and see who she was married to when Joe died.

On one of the death cert...I think Joe's ..it says Florence Blake of Edwardsville, IL as the informant.

Ok...off to work now!!

Something to think about!

EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD DAY!!
WILL COME BACK TONIGHT WITH MORE INFO!!
THANKS EVERYONE!!

JOANN
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

In 1930 census, one Florence Blake in Edwardsville and one Florence Blake in Alton. The first born 1885 in Illinois, parents born Ill. The second born 1907 Illinois, parents born Ill. So I doubt either of these are related and maybe that Florence Blake just found him....

Or maybe a third Florence Blake?
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Essgee,

I am really not sure who the Florence is....at first I was thinking it was mabye a sister...or another daughter...but I dont think so because she is NOT listed in his OBIT. I dont know who it can be.

I am going to try and call some long distance relatives this weekend...so hopefully they can answer some questions I have...I talked with them about a year ago...and they couldnt remember much...so probably wont remember now. But its still worth a try.
ALSO...these is a num that is located in Nevada somewhere...I think Henderson area...she is my g-aunt savine malone leones daughter...I think her name is Rose Marie Malone...or maybe should be Leone?
Dont know anything else about her...but will try and find something out through relatives...just dont know who will tell what...they are all pretty funny about that kind of stuff.
Just have no help at all....HONESTLY...ALL OF YOU HERE HAS GIVEN ME MORE INFORMATION THEN ANY OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS..! THANKS!!!!

I just dont know where to even start looking for her in Henderson, Nevada...any ideas?....maybe churches...but do nuns still live in Convents now?????...maybe she is associated with one of the hospitals..!

Ok i am off searching!!!!!

Joann
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Something you might be able to try relative to Sister Rose Marie Leone:

The first two here, are communities of sisters in Henderson, NV. Even though they are groups from other states, they have sisters in Henderson under their denomination and orders:

Racine Dominican Sisters (OP) Racine, WI

3 Church Street

Henderson, NV 89015

Sisters of Saint Joseph Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA

507 Chestnut View Place

Henderson, NV 89052-2821

and

5155 W. Tropicana, #2185

Las Vegas, NV 89103-7065

This is the info for the diocese of Las Vegas, which probably can give you info on convents in the state or where you might be able to find info about Sister Rose Marie:

Diocese of Las Vegas Map 3.62 miles

(702) 735-3500
336 Cathedral Way, Las Vegas, NV 89109

This is a church with a convent attached:

Churches: Catholic
St Joseph Catholic Church & Convent Map 1.73 miles

(702) 432-8042
Las Vegas, NV 89104

One thing to remember, depending upon when she took vows, her name may have been changed. Years ago, they took new names when they became Brides of Christ, so she may be known by something other then Rose Marie Malone. But check it out, nothing to loose and a lot to gain....And there are Catholic Hospitals in the area as well......
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Hey Essgee :D

Thanks so much for the info!! I will definately look into it..hopefully this weekend!

I am going to try this weekend to get in touch with a few cousins...only if they will tell...???!!!! One inparticular may know how to get in touch with this nun...maybe she will give me some info...I think this cousin lives in Las Vegas area also. I will have to call another cousin in Illinois to get phone number.

Hey...believe it or not I found my grandfather, Jasper St. George/Sangiorgi's brother, Pietro, tonight on Ellis Island. Said he was coming to meet his father in Pueblo CO. Wouldnt that be a stange place to go????? What was there?

Ok...off to bed...work comes early.
Have a good evening!!
Will post more hopefully this weekend!!
Keep me posted if you think or find anything else!!
THIS FORUM IS THE BEST!!!!!!!
THANKS AGAIN!!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

JoannL wrote:Hey Essgee :D

Hey...believe it or not I found my grandfather, Jasper St. George/Sangiorgi's brother, Pietro, tonight on Ellis Island. Said he was coming to meet his father in Pueblo CO. Wouldnt that be a stange place to go????? What was there?
Pietro Sangiorgi 1901 Manifest

First Name: Pietro
Last Name: Sangiorgi
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Alia
Date of Arrival: Oct 04, 1901
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lombardia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0007

It does mention Colagero (father in Pueblo, CO)

I took a look at that manifest which brought me to this one....

First Name: Calogero
Last Name: Sangiorgi
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Alia
Date of Arrival: Sep 24, 1898
Age at Arrival: 45y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Spartan Prince
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0019

Calogaro Sangiorgi manifest 1898

Mentions that Calogero was in NO from 1892 -1896

Travels with daughter Vincenza age 14, off to join sister Concetta in Bonin (?) NO, LA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small recap ...

1892 - 1896 Colagaro is in NO (manifest to be located... will look for a Colagero age 41)

1896 - 1898 Probably back in Alia

1898- Cologaro Sangiorgi b1853 (age 45) travels to sister Concetta's in Ronin (?), NO, LA (hope I got the town right...)

1898 - Vincenza Sangiorgi b1884 (age 14)makes her first trip to USA with father Colagaro (above)

1901 Pietro Sangiorgi b.1880 (age 21) joins father in Pueblo, CO?? :?

1903 Gaspare Sangiorgi b.1890 (age 13) joins brother Pietro in Pattersonville, LA ( eventually married Concetta Milone b1895)
-------------------------

Looks like a big family here?? Would Gaspare be the youngest?
------------------------
Maria
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Maria,

This is all RIGHT....BUT Cologero did come twice?

And Pueblo has me stumped????...Dont know why there....I also think ..and I will have to go back and look....around 1900...Cologero and I think Pietro was in state of IOWA...I found a Census...have to go back and clarify that.. Pueblo and Iowa(if right) has me stumped...but we know Pueblo for sure.

Ok...so let me get this right...Cologero was married and came in 1898 with his daughter Vincenzo??spelling?....which is correct...there was a daughter by that name...and the town is Bonin, LA, I think it is by New Orleans.
I am in Louisiana...so I think the Bonin is correct.

Now..Cologero has a sister Concetta???...WOW...have to focus on that a little. But makes sense, because my dad stayed with his AUNT...NOT GREAT aunt...BUT AUNT MARY (which wold be Gaspares sister) when he did come to Louisiana from Alton...probably after 1930...remember my dad was in orphanage until April, 1930.
Dang...now I will have to go back on notes...I get confused...Maybe this is the Mary (Concetta) that my dad stayed with...but it was in Lake Charles. Louisiana.
***Have to get back to you on this one about this Concetta***

OK....now you say Gaspare came in 1903....I did find that...and I think PattersonvilleNow called Patterson) ......New Orleans.....Bonin....are all pretty close...like about an hour or so....maybe closer.
BUT GASPARE WAS NOT MARRIED THEN??? WAS HE???? you just had (wife Concetta Milone) next to his name....BUT..YES that was his wife...that is the same Concetta Maria Milone we have been looking up!!!
I am thinking they married about 1909 to 1912...somewhere in that time span.....but WHERE??? Louisiana???? ILLINOIS?????...dang I wish I knew.
WE REALLY NEED 1910 CENSUS...that will tell all...!!!

Now one of my penciled notes...scraps of paper here and there...I have written that Concetta Maria Milone married in Alton ILLINOIS....but I have called one of the churches that my dad was baptized at...and NO records of them getting married there. ****remember I do have that picture of her in wedding dress*** I found that about 2 weeks ago...never knew my mom had that....but I definately know it is her. I would think maybe in a wedding dress that maybe a church???....does that make sense? BUT they should have marriage license somewhere...some state.

I think there was a Salvatore Sangiorgi/Sangiorgio...I did find him on Ellis Island, coming to his mom Rosalia Scaccia(I want to say New Orleans area)....which was Gaspares mother...I think Salvatore was younger then Gaspare.
I want to say that Salvatore came in 1919....and I did find him in 1920 Census....living with Gaspare (JASPER ST GEORGE) and Mary (Milone) St. George and family...(my dad and his brothers)
Salvatore was married to a Laura Drago at that time span. And in the 1920 Census has him listed as SAM ST GEORGE.
Sam/Salvatore was listed as a barber too. and you know what is funny....Salvatores son, Tony, lives by me...of course he is in a Nursing Home now...and cant remember nothing at all...and he was a BARBER too...haha!!

OK...off to work...TAKE CARE.
I will try and scan and email you the picture of Concetta.
These Milones and Sangiorgis and haunting me bad...I am DETERMINED to get MORE info on them. LOL

THANKS for all your help...and I will say it again and again...EVERYONE on here are so AWESOME!!
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Will get back with you on some things later on tonight.

Joann
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Maria,

Would Maria Milone Pirrone be Bennie's daughter?

Also...found a Bennie Malone in Census...wife is Sabene...I think this is Joe Milones brother.

I have been noticing that everyone has been saying on here that the name was Bernardo....would that be Bennie???
I found him as Benjamin...so would Benjamin...Bernardo...and Bennie be all the same???

The last name of Pirrone dont sound familiar to me...BUT that dont mean anything.....I barely know the Milones and Sangiorgis...LOL.

Now...Concetta Mary Milone (MY grandmother)...her sister married a LEONE...and her name was Savine...or Sabine.

Ok...just had to answer and send you more questions. :D
Will get back to you tonight on some things...willalso make phone calls this weekend to some OLDER relatives ...but they never remember things...lol.
Thanks,
Joann
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

From the N.O. records:

Cologero Sangiorgi
Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1892
Ethnic Background: Italian;Sicilian
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Giava
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
National Archives' Series Number: M259_77

Gaspare Sangiorgi
Arrival Date: 9 Oct 1903
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Manilla
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Friend's Name: Pietra Sangiorgio
Last Residence: Italy
National Archives' Series Number: T905_2

The listing of Gaspare was probably a result of transit from the Ellis Island arrivals.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

BUT GASPARE WAS NOT MARRIED THEN??? WAS HE???? you just had (wife Concetta Milone) next to his name....BUT..YES that was his wife...that is the same Concetta Maria Milone we have been looking up!!!
I am thinking they married about 1909 to 1912...somewhere in that time span.....but WHERE??? Louisiana???? ILLINOIS?????...dang I wish I knew.
WE REALLY NEED 1910 CENSUS...that will tell all...!!!
NOOOO... Gaspare not married then....

I just put her name down as part of the recap... I will slightly clarify better

Recap should read...
1903 Gaspare Sangiorgi b.1890 (age 13) joins brother Pietro in Pattersonville, LA (eventually married Concetta Milone b1895)
Gotta run!! Look forward to returning to this post!!!

Bless You!! Loved your private message... :P

I can tell you are having fun...

Maria :P
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

By the way.....

Pueblo Colorado had a very large Italian Agricultural community.... Also had a large mining community and was into smelting of metals, etc.

Found this source:
Gli italiani nel Colorado. Libro dedicato agli italiani 1899-1900 By Marcello Gandolfo, Denver: Dove tipografo [1900]

This is "The Italians in Colorado. Book is dedicated to all Italians 1899-1900"

So if there was a book in 1900, you know that the Italians had an impact already on Colorado.

http://www.yale.edu has a paper on Italians on the Frontier written by Marco Armeiro...interesting study of Italians outside of the urban centers and in the American West.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

And who is this?

ED 343 Manhattan, ward 12, page 34A in 1910 census:

Name Age
Leo Luca Mulone 35
Lucchine Mulone 27
Lessie Mulone 5
Beny Mulone 3
Josie Mulone 1

Must be related somehow...
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Essgee,

Guess I learn something every day...Thanks for sharing about the Italians in Colorado, ..this is something new to me.
I definately want to find that book, "The Italians In Colorado". That is a must!!!

As for as this Leo Luca Mulone, Luccine, Lessie, Beny, Josie Mulone...I have no idea...but some are the same names we have been finding...same as Joe Malones/Milones family.
I would think somewhere somehow they would be kin. Have to check into that for sure!!!

I am definately going to make some phone calls this weekend.

OHHHHH....EVERYONE.....I HEARD FROM THE ORPHANAGE TODAY...MY RECORDS OF MY DAD ARE IN THE MAIL...WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...back to searching the Malones. Going to look for these MULONES.

Will post more later.
THANKS ESSGEE for the info. Looking it up now!!

Joann
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

OH Essgee.....by the way...never thought to look up MULONE....thought about MI...MA...ME...but NEVER MU....thanks for the tip!!!!!!

Looking now!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee wrote:And who is this?

ED 343 Manhattan, ward 12, page 34A in 1910 census:

Name Age
Leo Luca Mulone 35
Lucchine Mulone 27
Lessie Mulone 5
Beny Mulone 3
Josie Mulone 1

Must be related somehow...
A Lucchine Mulone?? Certainly worth linking,

Luccine and Leo Luca "Mulone" 1910 Census

Just got back from camping... had to cut it short.. heavy rain and wind on the way... :?

Need to catch up here!

Essgee, that's a great find...!! I never thought of MULONE either...

Maria