ITALIAN SURNAME

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: ITALIAN SURNAME

Post by nuccia »

Hi Maria..

Wondered how you were holding up in this weather...I was worried.

Glad you're home...not a great way to spend the last long weekend of the summer, is it?

Can you hear the Air Show? Want to nap but its impossible now!

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Amy, actually we had a great time considering the time was short...

"Hang on to your tents" was what we heard on a local radio station there...

(Camping at Emily Provincial Park - near Omemee, Ontario)

Now, that I'm back home... I'm now wondering where those 75 mph winds are... seems very peaceful out there... (about 6:30pm)

Back to this topic later... just got tons of smokey laundry to do...

Maria

P.S. Hope our American friends are ok...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Emily Provincial Park in Lindsey...near Pigeon Lake in Bobcageon????

In laws have a trailer up there..its beautiful. Glad you're home safe... :D

nuccia (Amie) :D
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Hey Maria...sorry to hear that you had to cut your trip short.

Yes I thought Essgee did great finding this name...I never thought about Mulone.
Now I wonder who these are??? LOL

This morning I started searching all Malone spelling on Ellis Island...searched about have the MALONE spelling ...have to check the other half....then go to the ME spellilng...then MI...then MU...just checking all from Corleone.

Tomorrow I will try and make some phone calls....to some long lost OLD relatives...some I spoke with before...hopefully they can give me more info.

Ok...back at it tomorrow!!

Still searching!!

Joann
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

JoannL wrote:Hey Maria...sorry to hear that you had to cut your trip short.

Thank you! We had an awesome time... I listened to my 3 sons (16, 13, 9) talk like Sargeant Hartman (verbertum) non.. stop... and now they're doing John Wayne impersonations... They like the old stuff...

Yes I thought Essgee did great finding this name...I never thought about Mulone.
Now I wonder who these are??? LOL

Ya me too... (wonder who these are....) best to check them out...

Not your Luchine Tamburello though....

The 1910 Census that Essgee located tells me that ...

Luchine and LeoLuca were married about 1903... in either Italy or the USA...

Lucine Mulone is 27 (b1883+-)
Immig. 1903 ... at age 20+-
Married for about 7 years, had 6 children total, but 3 died. (am I reading this correctly?)

Husband LeoLuca Mulone is 35 (b1875+-)
Immig. 1903... at age 28+-

Children
Maria (?) age 5 Born NY 1905
Beny age 3 " 1907
Josie age 1 " 1909

This morning I started searching all Malone spelling on Ellis Island...searched about have the MALONE spelling ...have to check the other half....then go to the ME spellilng...then MI...then MU...just checking all from Corleone.

Tomorrow I will try and make some phone calls....to some long lost OLD relatives...some I spoke with before...hopefully they can give me more info.

Ok...back at it tomorrow!!

Still searching!!

Joann
Lots of LeoLucca's in Corleone... just been searching through more names.. just couldn't believe how many LeoLuca's there are!!
Maria ...
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

JoannL wrote:Maria,

Would Maria Milone Pirrone be Bennie's daughter?

Also...found a Bennie Malone in Census...wife is Sabene...I think this is Joe Milones brother.

I have been noticing that everyone has been saying on here that the name was Bernardo....would that be Bennie???
I found him as Benjamin...so would Benjamin...Bernardo...and Bennie be all the same???

The last name of Pirrone dont sound familiar to me...BUT that dont mean anything.....I barely know the Milones and Sangiorgis...LOL.

Now...Concetta Mary Milone (MY grandmother)...her sister married a LEONE...and her name was Savine...or Sabine.

Ok...just had to answer and send you more questions. :D
Will get back to you tonight on some things...willalso make phone calls this weekend to some OLDER relatives ...but they never remember things...lol.
Thanks,
Joann

Recap of Fsco. Paolo and Maria's manifest...

Melone Pirrone One page manifest

First Name: Fco. Paolo
Last Name: Pirrone
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italy
Last Place of Residence: Corleone
Date of Arrival: Mar 07, 1906
Age at Arrival: 26y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0027

Listed as a countryman, off to NY with $80, was also in the USA from 1895? to 1904... brother in law is Pietro Leone at 337 & 106 St... hope I got the address right.
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Melone Pirrone
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italy
Date of Arrival: Mar 07, 1906
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0028

She is definitely traveling with Fsco. Paolo Pirrone. She is listed as a married.. not sure what her calling or occupation is (does it say married wife)???

----------------------

I can't tell you who she is... but as for Francesco Paolo Pirrone... he could have had a brother by the name Giovanni...

Here's Giovanni's Pirrone's info...

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Pirrone
Ethnicity: Italian
Date of Arrival: Oct 17, 1898
Age at Arrival: 29y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Tartar Prince
Port of Departure: Genova, Italy
Manifest Line Number: 0030

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2913010197&

Off to join brother Fsco Paolo Pitrone in Patterson, NO?

--------------------------------
Maria
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

WOW...this is awesome....and it does say Patterson NO....NO=New Orleans.....and Patterson and New Orleans are pretty close..probably about an hour maybe closer.

Joann
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

sooo... what do we do now? :?

We're doing well with the SanGiorgi side of the family...

It's the M*lone side of the family that's a real challenge... we've got too many of them...

We've got Milones in basically 3 areas... Patterson- NO, NY and Ill...

Need to read again... (especially vj's posts... )

Actually, I like this thread!!

We've got a nice group of researchers helping out with this topic, and I certainly enjoy reading JoannL's follow ups.....

Catch you later...

Maria :P
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

short summary of one of the records we're missing:
1910 Census for Joe Malone & family
-------------------------------------------------------
great grandfather
- Giuseppe (Joe) Malone (Milone), born appox. May 20, 1871 Italy
great grandmother
- Luchine (Luchena) Tombarello (Tomburello) born Feb. 15, 1870 Italy
Joe and Luchine's children:
- Mary (Concetta) Malone St. George(Sangiorgi) Mar 12, 1895
- Luke Malone (1898 Italy?)
- Savine (Sabine) Malone Leona (Leone) (1901-2 Italy?)
- Frances Malone Digilamo Saldena (1903 LA?)
- Josephine Malone Chirco (1905 LA?)
- Charles or a Vincent Malone (1908 LA?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
note: this family in Alton IL on 1920 & 1930 census
--------------------------------------------------------------------
note: in 1913 grandmother, Concetta Mary Malone (Milone),
grandfather, Jasper St. George (Sangiorgi)
had 1st child Carlo in Missouri (across border from Alton, IL) in 1913
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
note: possible sister Johanah Vico (Vicari) b abt 1870
married Frank Vicari b abt 1872
in 1910 was living in Police Jury Ward 5, St Mary, Louisiana
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
a favor?
do we have the manifests for these folks somewhere in this post???
I'm sorry, I've lost track!!

Thanks, Valarie
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Hello all :D

You are right Valerie...Cant find the Manifest...I have looked at more Milone names (all spellings) and can't come up with any that are actually assosiated with JOE or any of them.
So What I am trying to figure out is how and when they came over...and where to???
I am still checking the different spellings of Malones on the Ellis Island site...still nothing on JOE...or Guiseppe...I cant connect the ones that I have found....but I dont want to give up either.

Still have some other phone calls to make...some were not home today...so I will try again tomorrow.

Do you think we will have better luck with the Sangiorgi's?

If so...I can give the low down on the Sangiorgi's.

I am going to try some OLD Malone relatives...but I did speak to them along while back...and they couldnt remember much.
But I am going to try again...hopefully someone will remember something more.

I just cant believe that its that dang hard to find even a manifest on the Malones....where are they????? They had to come to states somewhere ...somehow.

I thought maybe I would tackle the New York, New York Census...but so many dang pages and so many different areas or countys...to search.
Thought that in areas of Louisiana also.

No track of them before 1920...that is so strange...not unless somewhere else that I do not know.

Ok......so what is your suggestion?

I am really having so much fun with this....and ALL of you have been great.
We just can't quit now...LOL.
The Malone's and Sangiorgis are staying ghost to us!! They better come back and give us some clues...LOL.

Thanks so very much!!!!!!

Joann
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

OK....I have another question....do any of you think that I could Call the "office" of the Cemetary where they are buried? Do you think it will give me any other info then what I have?
I already have their death certs and obits....but do you think a place like that will have any other info?

Ok...maybe I am grasping at straws here....but I am running out of places to look.

I think that maybe Luke Malone, (Joe and Luchines) son was born in Corleone....and maybe Savine(Joe and Luchines daughter)....but do you think possible that Mary Concetta Malone was born in US?...somewhere?
But there again the 1910 Census would maybe tell us that...you know the Census that we cant find and does not have a record of them??!!!!! Yeah that record!!!! DANGIT!!!!!!! LOL
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Joann!
Since you asked...
I've found whenever I get stuck, a little reading helps clear the mind.
There are quite a few articles online about breaking thru brick walls.
This one has a pretty neat story as an illustration.
I found it a while ago on a google search.
http://genealogy.about.com/library/weekly/aa042602a.htm
The suggestion on researching collateral lines may be helpful in finding
the correct original name?
Maria has suggested in previous research posts to look for similar names on manifests coming from the same town as the family.
Maria's been particularly successful with this approach!
I've found just plotting locations on a map or reading the local history of
some of the missing ancestors known locations may yield a few more
clues too.
I think the key is to just keep looking, they were somewhere!
Valarie :wink:
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Hey everyone!!

Well I didnt find too much out today. I just havent been home this weekend long enough to really look or call anyone.
The only thing I found out was that Jasper (Gaspare Sangiorgi) St. George
was in Louisiana in approx. 1930 or 1940, living with his nephew Vincent and Vincents wife Mary, which is another sister of my mom.
I spoke to my cousin today and that is what she told me...didnt get in detail with her, she couldnt talk long on phone.

Also...have been searching Louisiana, St. Mary Parish...going through every page and every Ward for 1910....did find Police Jury Ward 6 on page 17 there was a Charles Leone...head of household...but that was all it said...noone under him???? Thats about it.

I am going to call another cousin in a few minutes...I think she is the one that has a wedding picture of my grandmother Concetta Mary Malone...a different one that I have...and hopefully it will have a date and place on it....but she just will not share the info or the picture with me...its been over a year that I have asked her and still nothing.....and she lives about 2 blocks from me...and to go over and get it...hahahah..that is a joke...she would tell me not a good time right now...so hopefully one more time calling her and see what she says.

Ok still searching...it just may take time to find the Milone/Sangiorgi family or where they were in 1910...but they have to be somewhere.
You are right VJ....just hit a brick wall...but I will bust through it sooner or later...maybe be chipping away slowly...but it will come down...I will find something...LOL...wellllllll hopefully anyway...LOL.
But all of you helping me makes it fun...I am loving it!!! ALL OF YOU have given me more info then anyone in my family!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!

Joann
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Just back into town myself....

Joanna...

Talk to the cemetery office. See what they have. Often it will be additional information. Ask who else is buried in the same plot. Ask who owned the plot. Ask if others by the same surname are buried in the cemetery. Might help.

Also, you live in LA. Go to the Family History Library nearest to your home and ask if they have New Orleans or Lousiana passenger arrivals available on microfilm or microfische. Sometimes the local libraries have records of that same area on permanent loan and you can use then for free. Worth checking into. At the same time, if they don't have them, order the microfilms and start the process of checking the passenger records. Can take 3 or 4 weeks to get a hold of, so start now.

Will continue to check other things tomorrow. Meantime, have great evening everyone! Sorry you got rained out Maria....Best to you and Nuccia and vj as well~!
JoannL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoannL »

Thanks Essgee....will have to make it to my library...the Family History Library is in New Orleans for me...that is about 3 hours away...just may have to go make a weekend of it....I think they may have one in Lafayette Louisiana..which is about an hour...but there hours dont match up to mine...so may have to wait on that for a few more weeks...but my library may have something...will have to check more into that...thanks for the info!!!!!!!
Everyone has given me so much info on here...its has been great...thank you all again and again.

OK>.....Now to fill everyone in on some news....I spoke to my cousin here in Lake Charles, I just got off phone with her...SHE HAS BIRTH CERT OF GASPARE SANGIORGI...can you believe?????...she said she just ran across it and it is written in Italian...but I did tell her I wanted a copy...so hopefully one day I can get one from her.

OK...also found out that Gaspare (Jasper) was married before in 1951, in Lake Charles, Louisiana to a ELZENA DeVilto or DeVilla...but it only lasted like about 2 days or so...BUT...those records will be in MY CLERK OF COURT here...so I will check into that also....he married on Sept 2, 1951.

Ok...also she told me that her dads baptism papers were from St. Patricks Church in Alton...and says Concetta was from Italy..but that is all...so I will actually have to look at it my self ...if she will show me...LOL...and see what it says.
Says her dad born in Alton, Illinois...this is Carlo St. George..my dads brother.

Also...says her dad Married a Gladys someone in 1939...or that was actually the divorce...so my uncle Carlo was married before.
He and my AUNT Carrie married in 1944...there daughter is who i just got off phone with..

Said she thought that there was a DELLA MALONE that was still alive in ALTON IL...that would be my Great AUNT...my Great Uncle Vincent(Charlie...which is the same person) it will be his wife.
So this DELLA would be Concetta's sister in law.

ALSO on Carlos birth cert...CONCETTA is spelled CONCETTINA MALONE.

oK....that is all I found out tonight...will hopefully find out more within the next few days..ohhhhhhhhh...and wait...Jaspare and Carlo were in Lake Charles, Louisiana living with his nephew and his wife..Which is my moms sister..who is all now deceased...but they were living there in 1939 to 1940...did I tell ya'll that already???? LOL...i forget what I already typed..LOL.
Ok...everyone have a nice night...going to bed, work will be calling early in morning.

TAKE CARE everyone...God bless you all!!
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!
Lets keep looking...LOL.

Joann